Sunday, January 29, 2012

One of the things that worried me when I got Questa was her first heat.. and bitches in heat as a subject weighed on my mind.  I read everything I could and asked not only Questa's breeder but a lot of other people about what it was like to own an intact female dog.  Most pet dogs in the US are spayed (if they are owned responsibly) but most pet dogs in Europe are NOT spayed.  I found that interesting.  I had never owned a bitch that was intact and came into season.

One of my biggest concerns was my house being under seige by many intact male dogs.. an issue my Father described when he was a child in the 30's and they had an intact Doberman bitch (they never bred her).  He had told me how awful that was.  Dogs all over the place for many days.. fighting and marking.  I surely did not want that going on here!

Female dogs can have their first heat anytime after the dog is 6 months old.  This particular dog's female family has a history of coming into their first season at 12 months old, but I knew better than to assume anything about dogs coming into season.   At 6 months old, I began to check Questa daily for blood.  White paper towels work well for this. 

A bitch is in season for 3 weeks (on average).  Physical symptoms start by bleeding, and as time goes on the dog's vulva swells and eventually they stop bleeding for a few days and then bleed again.  After this the vulva shrinks and the dog is out of season.  Pre bleeding the dog is typically not fertile yet and while males may be attracted, she is not ready to be bred and will drive the males back and will not stand still for breeding.  When she stops bleeding, she is about to ovulate.  Even then she is not quite ready to conceive, though she may stand still and allow breeding.  To conceive she must ovulate, and the ovum needs to mature a bit and then she will conceive.  After the period when she can conceive, she will "bleed off" and then go out of heat.  NONE of this is to be trusted if you do not want her to be bred.  From the first day of season until the last, she needs to be on leash or indoors and never left alone unless crated and in the house. 

In addition to all the stories about male dogs hanging around the house, there are numerous other stories about male dogs breaking through various barriers and getting to the female and breeding her.  Dogs are smart and breeding is a very very strong 'instinct' in most species.

Questa had her first heat when she was 13 months old.  I was prepared.  I had a stock prod (in case any male dogs showed up at the house and I had to make them back off), I had a heavy duty long leash, I had two collars on the dog at all times with ID.  I was PREPARED.  Questa was inside in a crate with an attached "kennel" in the furnace room with papers down when I was at work (I had heard that bitches in season need to pee more often.. and mark.. ).  I had clean up materials.  I had things for her to chew on to alleviate boredom.. and I dead bolted the door.  I closed all the windows and locked them.  NO male was going to get to MY DOG. 

All that.. and not a single male showed up at the house.  Nothing.  No dogs at all. 

Later I figured out some things.  First of all, in this modern time (as opposed to my Dad's experience in the 1930's) we have leash laws and most dogs are neutered.  I live in a rural area and rarely do I see a male dog, or any dog, loose and running around.  Second of all, while there are stories of dogs traveling miles based on their excellent noses and the smell of a female in season, that is laregly untrue.  The reason dogs show up in the yard is because you take YOUR female in season for a walk.. and they track her home.  I did not do this.  I kept her 'sequestered' for the 3 weeks. 

I spoke with one person who goes a bit further.  She takes her female, puts her in the car, drives to another location, takes the dog out on leash to do her business and then loads the dog up in the car and drives back home.  ALL the marking and scent is 2 miles from her house!  Must be interesting for anyone with a male dog that goes for a walk there! 

My concerns and research were a good thing because I learned a lot and I did not end up with a problem or an inappropriately pregnant bitch. 

Today Questa is currently in the standing phase of her second heat.  I have a fenced yard (put that up last spring.. as part of the concerns about having an intact female dog).  I have taken her for walks elsewhere where she does eliminate but she eliminates in the yard as well.  I have not seen any dogs here this time either.  I still use the indoor kennel arrangement in the furnace room (and she has only used the papers ONCE).  I have not leat my guard down, but I am not so concerned. 

Other than the length of time a bitch is in season, it is pretty obvious that if you pay attention, use common sense, and keep the dog in sight, on leash or confined securely, managing a bitch in season is very doable.  At least it is very doable here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment